The candidate shall be assigned to an integrated sustainability team for projects within the Middle East and Europe.
Alpin Limited is a multidisciplinary built-asset consultancy headquartered in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi.
The local team is composed of a diverse range of experts who lead their respective fields, including LEED APs, PQPs, trainers, commissioning authorities (CxA), construction managers, MBAs, and building physics PhDs. We also have commissioning authorities and consultants based in Munich, London, New York City, and other prominent global locations.
Our current projects include The Abu Dhabi Midfield Terminal Building, Doha Metro, Johnson Controls Research Center, Expo 2020, Riyadh Metro, and several other high-profile projects in the EU and GCC.
Reports Directly to:
Head of Sustainability and/or Managing Director
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review environment compliance of projects during planning, design, and construction phases;
- Develop and implement environmental strategies and action plans, to ensure corporate sustainable development;
- Take the lead on sustainable procurement for all goods and services;
- Coordinate all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, conservation, and renewable energy;
- Lead the implementation of environmental policies and practices;
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation and keep up to date with KSA, GCC, and international regulation and legislation;
- Liaise with relevant bodies such as local authorities, public bodies, and competent bodies;
- Audit, analyze and report environmental performance to internal and external clients and regulatory bodies;
- Carry out impact assessments to identify, assess and reduce an organization's environmental risks and financial costs;
- Promote and raise awareness, at all levels of an organization, of the impact of emerging environmental issues;
- Implement best practices in areas of corporate, ethical, and social responsibility and address any issues arising;
- Develop and implement environmental management systems to continually improve the impact of the organization on the environment;
- Coordinate public hearings and consultations on environmental matters;
- Manage relations with the board of directors, senior management, and internal staff;
- Train staff at all levels on environmental issues and responsibilities;
- Participate in environmental education and research;
- Negotiate environmental service agreements and manage associated costs and revenues;
- Write environmental reports, assuming lead responsibility in the company;
- Set organizational sustainability targets, developing plans to meet those targets and oversee their delivery;
- Respond to inquiries and concerns related to EMS
- Devising strategies to meet targets and to encourage best practice
- Devising the best tools and systems to monitor performance and to implement strategies
- Supporting the creation of marine protected areas, biodiversity and protected area planning, capacity building for conservation, alternative livelihood development, and community outreach.
- Ensuring compliance with environmental legislation
- Managing environmental strategy budgets
- Review stormwater management practices for municipal, industrial, and construction stormwater programs.
- Liaising with internal staff including senior managers and directors
- Acting as a champion or cheerleader for environmental issues within the organization
- Providing environmental training to staff at all levels
- Writing plans and reports
- Keeping up to date with relevant changes in environmental legislation and initiatives including international legislation where applicable
- Producing educational or information resources for internal staff, clients, or the general public
- Liaising with regulatory bodies such as the Environment Agency.
§ To significantly increase the area of marine habitat under conservation management, and to improve management of existing sites.
HSE Roles, Responsibilities, and Accountability:
§ In addition to your responsibility towards following ALPIN’s Integrated Management System, every employee at ALPIN is required to familiarize themselves with ALPIN’s Environmental Impact Assessment and contribute towards minimizing their individual environmental impact in the course of their work.
§ It is the duty of all employees to act within the legal responsibilities imposed upon them and the Company’s Quality, Environment, and Health & Safety policies. All employees must familiarize themselves with the Company’s Integrated Management System’s policies and procedures
- BSc / MSc in environmental studies, Biology, agriculture
- Minimum of 15 years of experience
- The certified ecologist is preferred
- ISO 14001 is a plus
- Expertise to assess water, wastewater, and solid waste treatment technologies
- Expertise to assess marine and terrestrial ecosystem protection technologies
- Expertise in the terrestrial and marine environment
- Familiarity in writing, auditing, and assessing ESA and EIA
- Understand and utilize systems to carry out problem-solving
- Show initiative, to recognize emerging problems and proactively develop solutions using methods such as systems thinking
- Negotiate and organize
- Stimulate and manage change
- Demonstrate strong leadership and influence
- Display a high level of computer literacy
- Show commercial awareness and an understanding of business
- be self-motivated and able to motivate staff at all levels
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Manage projects, as well as produce and deliver presentations
- Establish effective networks, both internally and externally.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Good communication and people skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong knowledge of KSA and GCC environmental regulations
- Know the processes that occur during quality assurance
§ Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with both clients and consultants;
§ Strong Knowledge of current sustainability standards: LEED, QSAS, or Estidama;
§ Comprehensive written & spoken English;
§ GCC experience;
§ Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment;
§ Arabic language would be a plus (not required);
§ Master’s Degree is a plus;
§ Local driver’s license & personal mode of transportation;
§ Passport which allows for efficient regional travel.